May is a pretty big month around here.
Not only do I have a special appreciation for the month of May–the flowers, the warm weather, summer just around the corner–but I happen to have brought two children into the world in May.
As well as been birthed myself.
And then there’s Mother’s Day, which sometimes falls on my birthday, making it a two-for-one and a special excitement for my husband.
And then there’s the remembrance of another special birthday in May–Lily’s birthday, a little girl who should have turned four today–now celebrating her birthday, as Ada described, “flying back home to see her mommy.” Justice for Lily has a new website up, so be sure to check it out and leave Lily a birthday message today. There are no words to express how much I, and I’m sure every mom who takes a minute of her day to read my blog, wishes Lily could be back in her mom’s arms. She was such as special little girl and Lauren has always been, and will continue to be, the most amazing mother I have ever met. Happy Birthday little Lily!
In other news, I haven’t really kept up on blogging lately because I’ve been working my pregnant buns off at the hospital, so here are some updates:
- I spent my birthday as a “free day,” courtesy of my mother-in-law. She picked up the girls for me and I had a whole day to do whatever I wanted. And the curious thing was–I couldn’t think of a darn thing to do. Isn’t that weird? How we mothers beg and hope for a day to ourselves, only to feel lost and miss the kids when they’re gone? I drove over to get a massage, only to have them tell me I wasn’t booked, even though I had called a few weeks ago. So I wandered around the mall, pretending my feet weren’t swollen so bad I could barely walk, and ended up buying clothes for the girls.
I know, it was kind of pathetic.
Things picked up after that though, when I got in for a glorious massage later in the afternoon, followed by Ben standing me up for our half-off frappachino date at Starbucks. We hit up a movie, just because I haven’t been in like five years, and then had a lovely dinner with my parents and sister.
All in all, a very nice birthday. And I must say, turning 26 is the first time in my life I felt the creeping of age upon me. I know that I’m not really that old yet…but still, it’s like I’ve rounded a corner. Kind of like hitting the third trimester in pregnancy, I feel like I’m no longer counting up when it comes to birthdays….
Not to mention, it really puts the pressure on this whole “writing a book on young moms” thing–because I’d really like to get it out before I’m no longer a young mom!!
- I’m gearing up for the girls’ birthday party this weekend!We’re throwing a big pirate-themed birthday for them and I’m so excited. We have pirate hats, ring pop treasures, games, and an awesome treasure chest cake I am hoping I can pull off. It’s supposed to be gorgeous weather too, so I’m hoping it all turns out.
- Still working on my book deal. This has turned out (surprise, surprise) to be a bit harder than I anticipated. The publisher wants a commitment of 4,000 sales before they will take me on….which feels, well, impossible. And slightly like begging. I am grateful to everyone who has supported me this far, so thank you everyone! 🙂
- I’m still pregnant. This probably doesn’t shock you, because you are on your computer and can’t see me, but if you were every other person that sees me at work or in the hospital, you would be just as shocked as they all are that 1) I am not due to July and 2) I am not having twins. Stupid people.
- I’m working hard to be more patient mom and wife. Lately, I just felt a little blah. I’m just tired and cranky more than usual, and sometimes, it’s hard to wake up and face the feeling of “what am I going to do all day with them” horror that seems to dawn. (Don’t lie–you know what I’m talking about!) Luckily, the girls have been getting a lot better at playing independently, which I was working towards, but in a strange twist of fate, I now feel guilty that I’m not playing with them enough. Sometimes I think there’s something wrong with me.
- We’re looking for a car. Like, now. I know I said I don’t want to be a mini-van mom. And I really don’t. At all, even though a lot of people think that’s ignorant. And it probably is. But there’s something about driving a minivan through high school that has scarred me forever. However, it’s getting to the point of desperation. We.just.need.a.car. Any car that will fit 3 car seats. If anyone knows of a good model, or if anyone is selling a car, please let me know!!
What are you plans for May? Anyone planning anything special? It just feels like a month to make things happen!