This is Alyssa.
Yeah, I know.
Alyssa is the brains and brawn behind the office inspiration decor line of Passion Meets Practicality and I’m so excited to have you learn a little bit more about Alyssa.
Besides being beyond gorgeous, Alyssa is a successful at-home momtrepenuer, wife, and mom to two young boys. She designs and builds custom wood signs and at my convincing begging, office decor, coffee mugs, and soup tureens exclusively for Passion Meets Practicality at her Etsy shop, CA Sign Design. Because I’m a big believer that surrounding yourself with things that make you happy and inspired can lead you to create happy and inspiring things.
So, introducing Alyssa, in her own words:
Hi, I’m Alyssa and I’m a work-at-home mom.
When I started out as a dental assistant I had all the time to work my life away. I traveled an hour to work and worked long hours then traveled an hour home. When I found out I was pregnant with my first son I continued in the field and eventually did find a job closer to my home and part-time. On my days off during naptime I experimented with painting and arts and crafts who doesn’t love that? I always had a passion for being creative but never thought I could make a living from it. My friend and I attempted to make a sign one day which turned out terrible but also into something much bigger.
After some serious practice I was able to make a few sales through Etsy. Over time it kept growing And I always was wanting to create a new design in my head. Eventually I got to a place where I thought to myself … Do I quit my stable job at the office for the unknown? I wanted to try it out so badly And this sounds terrible but with my husband’s permission (hey he’s paying the bills) he allowed me to leave my job to start a new career in making signs.
I am lucky that I have been successful in this business. I am able to stay home with my now two boys and paint all day! What could be better than that? Being my own boss was even better.
Some advice for moms who are hoping to create their own businesses through Etsy:
1. You must have a passion for what you are doing. Not each day is a piece of cake and the true passion for making signs is what keeps me going.
2. You must put money into your business to create yourself.
3. Better is not better, different is better. It takes creativity. Sure it is easy to copy a design and try to sell it, but to be able to create something original is where it’s at.
4. Put in the time to make good quality items. If your items are cheaply made the etsy community will be sure to let others know. Quality over quantity …
5. Set realistic goals. And also find others who do the same work and have them to talk with!